Richard Butler, for whom this town is named, and Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, were good friends. Mr. Butler was the secretary of the fundraising organization for the building of the pedestal on which the Statue of Liberty was to stand. Butler and Bartholdi went on tours together to raise the money. At the time of the 1886 dedication of the Statue in New York Harbor, Richard Butler was in the crown of the statue with Bartholdi. When the signal was given, the gentlemen dropped the veil that covered the statue and presented Liberty Enlightening the World to the public. Bartholdi Avenue in Butler is named for this famous sculptor.
This picture shows Butler and Bartholdi together on Bedlow's Island where the statue would be placed. Also shown are pieces of granite from the quarry in CT that was used to build the pedestal and a small piece of copper that came from the inside of the statue's arm. The quarter-sized piece of copper was presented to Butler's Mayor Nuzzo in 1985 when the statue was being refurbished for its Centennial celebration in 1986.